Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Open windows

Dan will record guitar, vocals, harmonica on Friday.  I will record the violin part on Saturday.  

Tonight we practiced at my place.  I am back to playing the violin I love, for a week or two, because we are recording with acoustic instruments.  So I get to play my 100% acoustic violin.

Hilariously enough, considering how much I've complained about the other violin, it took a few days to get used to playing my favorite violin again.  It is so much smaller.  I've been practicing a lot of scales for a few days just to get the fingers automatic again.  

Tonight we played through all the new songs as the sun set.  So much fun.  While we played the room slowly darkened.  At some point I turned on a light.  Dan made a suggestions about a section that could use violin.  I improvised until I found a few workable harmonies.

The windows were wide open.  At one point I thought, "I had better close the sliding glass door so I don't get a mean letter from the (one) irate neighbor."  But when I walked to the balcony, a neighbor was standing outside on the street, clapping!  He had been standing outside listening.   I walked out onto the balcony and said hello.  He said he loved it.  He said all the neighbors were walking around saying how good it was.

"Not just good, great," he said.
"I was worried it was bothering the neighbors," I said.
"Not when it sounds like this," he returned.

He said he played guitar and was taking songwriting lessons.  Dan asked where, and as it turns out he was taking from Ruth in San Carlos.

"We know her."
"We have opened for her before," we said.

Small world.   

No comments:

Post a Comment